Prose Poem by Shafer Gilson

The Tree of Memories and Futures

Its the day before Christmas and I still have lots to do. I plug in the lights and our tree comes to life. I lose track of time as I gaze at that tree, looking at all the ornaments, I smile for this brings back many memories.

The white clay stars which were molded years ago. My mother and I made them. There are little wooden men, made for cracking nuts. They hang from a branch now, the paint on them starting to chip. The lights on the tree, gleam off the pieces of tin. Lots of designs on those pieces of tin, from socks, to Santa and Angles. All these remind me of my family, and how much I care for them. I would not be the person I am today, were it not for my family.

The smell of evergreen makes me look up. Look! The bells, many colors and many sizes all hanging from golden string. The star at the top, lit in all its glory. The bells make me think, of something I once heard. That bells ring to remind you of those gone. I think of all the people who I miss, those who passed, and those that were taken. A tear rises to my eye as I smile and reminisce the good times I have experienced with them, and how much more I with I had.

As I gaze around, taking in all the sights and memories, my eye catches a new addition. From a very good friend, who's memories are both good and bad, she gave me a little drum set, hanging from some twine. The bass and the snare sitting together, and the hi-hat at the edge, the little cymbals actually clang when I tap them. Friends and friendship mean a lot to me, and even though they don't always help, friends are there to make the effort. I care and they care. Seems like a fair agreement.

As my eyes continue through the tree I decide to look down. There under this thin Douglas Fur sit the gifts wrapped and bagged. The ribbons and the paper, both tissue and wrapping, makes me wonder whats inside. I think of what is to come, am I really still so young? Life is finite and I still have so much to do, my future within my grasp. I make a vow, there at that tree, before the new years come. I must make more of my life, with experiences and pleasures of all sizes. I think about collage, I think about a wife, I think about my possible career, is movies really my dream? I still have so much to do and I wont let things keep me down when I know they should not. No more sitting and dreaming, its time to take action.

I snap back to reality as my dog licks my hand, the slime and coldness makes me shudder as I laugh and pat her head. I look back at the tree one last time, full of memories and futures. "What will the new year bring?" I ask myself, only time will tell. Then again, its the day before Christmas, and I still have lots to do.