Prose Poem

Winter Break

I have longed for this break since the first day of school. The wonderful two and a half week break from the awful, dreaded school. Sitting in class, “only 30 more minutes until Winter break!” my friend yells. Smells of fresh-baked cookies, Christmas trees, popcorn buckets, and home-made recipes start to dance around my nose. Finally. The clock strikes 2:30, free at last! No more homework, no more stressful nights, no more projects to procrastinate on, no more papers to write, no more Wordswork, no more spell check. All there is to do is to enjoy a holiday break and stuff our faces with an amount of food we didn’t think was possible to go into our bodies.
Oh wait. Silly, Silly, Silly, Me.
Did I forget we were assigned a blog project over the break? All those school requirements, I thought we were free from, are still here? Does this mean days will be spent on writing a reading response which is worth too much of a percentage of my grade? Oh! and I must have forgotten about the giant soccer tournament I’m going to five days after Christmas. Does this mean eating healthy all break? Having soccer practice twice a week, on Christmas Eve’s Eve? Going on runs, and making sure none of my relatives get me sick?
Now look where I am. My laptop and English papers surround my bed, where I sit in the center. Dayquil and Kleenex are my best friends, because of course, my good deed of babysitting my two-year old sick cousin back-fired on me. The worries and stressful nights of finishing this school project fill my head, Again! Oh! and the sweet smells of fresh-baked cookies, Fresh pine, home-made recipes, and popcorn buckets are non-tangible, due to a stuffy nose.
Merry Christmas.